Paying Your Medicare Part B Premium

Paying Your Medicare Part B

If you get Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits, your Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) premium will be deducted from your benefit payment.

If you’re a federal retiree with an annuity from OPM and not entitled to RRB or SSA benefits, you may request to have your Medicare Part B premiums deducted from your annuity. Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to make your request. TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.

How can I pay my Part B premium

If you don’t get these benefit payments, you’ll get a bill. If you choose to buy Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance), you’ll always get a bill for your premium. There are 4 ways to pay these bills:

1. Pay by check or money order. Write your Medicare Number on your payment, and mail it with your payment coupon to:

Medicare Premium Collection Center P.O. Box 790355
St. Louis, MO 63179-0355

2. Pay by credit/debit card. To do this, complete the bottom portion of the payment coupon on your Medicare Premium Bill, and mail it to the address above. Payments submitted without the bottom portion of the payment coupon may not be processed.

3. Sign up for Medicare Easy Pay. This is a free service that automatically deducts your premium payments from your savings or checking account each month. Visit or call 1-800-MEDICARE and to find out how to sign up.

Image Property of Healthy Colorado Insurance LLC


4. Make an online bill payment. This is a more secure and faster way to make your payment without sending your personal information in the mail. Ask your financial institution if it allows customers to pay bills online. Not all financial institutions offer this service and some may charge a fee. You’ll need to give your financial institution this information:

  • Account number: This is your Medicare Number. It’s important that you use the exact number on your red, white, and blue Medicare card, but without the dashes.
  • Biller name: CMS Medicare Insurance
  • Remittance address:
    Medicare Premium Collection Center P.O. Box 790355
    St. Louis, MO 63179-0355

    Note to RRB Annuitants: If you get a bill from the RRB, mail your premium payments to:

    RRB Medicare Premium Payments P.O. Box 979024
    St. Louis, MO 63197-9000

In Conclusion

If you have questions about your premiums or need to change your address on your bill, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. TTY users can call 1-800-325-0778. If your bills are from the RRB, call 1-877-772-5772. TTY users can call 1-312-751-4701.

If you’d like more information about paying your Medicare premiums, visit to view the brochure “Understanding the Medicare Premium Bill Form (CMS-500).”



Leave a Reply